What To Look For In An Office Desk Chair

Some considerations when buying an office desk chair.

A lot of people spend at least nine hours of their day at the office. This accounts for a third of a day and for most people, is even longer than the amount of sleep that they get. If you are among these people who work at the office five times a week, you probably spend a large part of your work hours sitting in front of your office desk which is why it is very important that you feel comfortable in your work area.

Among the most important factors that will affect your comfort while you are in the office is your office desk chair. Although your office might provide you with one, you might want to choose a different one for yourself. Below are some tips to help you when buying an office desk chair.

• Support. Among your primary considerations when buying an office desk chair should be the support that it provides. Ensure that the chair has proper back support. The backrest should be firmly padded and supports your spine’s natural lumbar curvature. Aside from this, the backrest should be 12 to 19 inches wide.
  • Adjustments. Some cheap office chairs are fixed which means that there is little to no adjustment to be done on the chair. Since you will probably be using your office desk chair at just one area for one task, it is best to get a chair that can be adjusted in different ways. Some of the usual adjustment features that come with office desk chairs are pneumatic seat height adjustment, back height adjustment, seat depth adjustment, arm height adjustment, and adjustable tilt tension.
  • Material. Discount chairs come in a wide variety of materials such as plastic, fabric, leather, and vinyl, among others. Choose the material based on how you plan to use the chair and the things that you do while sitting on it. If you like to eat or drink while at your desk, you might want to choose a material that is more resistant to liquids. If you prioritize comfort over everything else, an office chair whose seat is made of soft foam and cloth is your best choice.
  • Base. Do you want your office desk chair to be stationary at your desk or do you plan to move around with it? For moving your chair around the office, an office desk chair with rollers or wheels. Aside from this, office chairs with steel or aluminum bases are popular because they are strong and durable.
  • Comfort. If possible, try sitting on the chair to get a feel of it. Adjust the chair accordingly so that you feel comfortable in it. If a chair does not quite feel as if it fits you well, try to look for a better alternative that is more comfortable for you.

About race

I'm a Mom with three kids juggling between my corporate work and online writing job. This is my site about gift ideas, deals, shopping and technology.
This entry was posted in shopping and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What To Look For In An Office Desk Chair

1. You are a really motivational writer whether you intend to be or not. This article has inspired me to become more conscientious about my writing.|

2. Peachy says:

It is really important to have a comfortable office desk chair if you are working for long hours. I need to remind myself to buy one before the end of the month. Im experiencing back pains already since I do not have a comfortable chair while working in front of the computer.

3. Kerslyn says:

Been experiencing back pains since I started using my niece’ study desk and chair so I decided to save for an office desk chair and table that is ergonomically designed for people like me who sits in front of the computer most of my waking hours.

4. Suzie says:

I have been meaning to find me a good office desk chair . But I am postponing it until we transfer to our new and bigger place this year. I hope to have a small office space in our new house and the chair needs to match everything in that room!

5. Dez says:

I just made a request for a comfortable office desk chair at work, the one that I’m currently using doesn’t fit me (too small) which affects my mood as I can’t concentrate properly while I work. Hope that next week, I can work comfortably in my new office chair.

6. jennyL says:

My work requires me to sit for long period of hours as I’m using my computer. Honestly, there are days when I experience pains on my lower back and legs. It’s pretty sure that is due to my wrong position and probably the culprit is my chair. I’m planning to get a comfortable office desk chair and chuck my old chair for good.

7. Kaje says:

This is a timely post as husband decided to buy an office desk chair for our home office. I have been complaining of back aches, that is why. Thank you for the tips shared here, I am excited to have the perfect chair!

8. Race says:

Working eight or more hours a day in front of my office computer sometimes takes most of my strength especially when I’m not comfortable with my working environment. I’m very grateful that my boss in my new company allowed me to choose the best office desk chair for all our needs. I’ve chosen the best quality and most comfortable chair fit for extended hours of work so we can sit for long hours without the feeling of discomfort on seating.

9. Em says:

February is my husband’s birthday month. Until now, I still have not thought about his birthday present. But after reading this article, this office desk chair might be a good gift idea because he oftentimes work from home.

10. Abie says:

Our company just invited an ergonomic specialist to come to the office to give us assistance in configuring our work area and I would really need to buy a new office desk chair. I will definitely keep in mind all the pointers that you shared when buying an office chair.

11. kcot says:

After my huge purchase this week, hopefully I’d be able to bounce again so I’d be able to snag a good office desk chair to make my working time a lot more comfortable. You see, sitting on this hard and uncomfortable rickety chair makes me feel uneasy and my body gets easily tired even with just a few minutes of sitting.

12. Mai says:

I agree, it’s important to have a comfortable office desk chair. It’s definitely hard to concentrate on what you’re doing if you are uncomfortable and nursing an aching back. Harder even more if you’ve developed a bad case of back strain or scoliosis because of poor sitting posture on an uncomfortable office chair.

13. Litzie says:

One should always use an office desk chair to use when they are working long hours in front of the computer, even if they only have home offices. The back support is very important and these tips are very proper in looking for the perfect chair.

Comments are closed.